Hairdressing Courses Plus has put together a how-to guide for the aspiring hairdresser. It is our “5 Steps” to becoming a hairdresser list. We always stress that embarking on a career as a hairdresser will involve lots of time and commitment. We do not intend to imply that our 5 steps are a simple fast way to become a hair stylist.
5 Steps to Becoming a Hairdresser
1. Graduate from high school, or get your GED. In most cases you will need a diploma or GED certificate before entering cosmetology school or hair design school.
2. Enroll in cosmetology or hair design school. You can find local schools by searching online, or referencing the yellow pages. After enrolling, make sure you take hair design courses. Explore many types of hair styling to expand your knowledge and skill set. Other areas to explore are coloring, perming, waving, and braiding.
3. After completing your training programs, you should find an apprentice position with an established hairdresser or salon. Many cosmetology schools will offer training programs where you can learn on the job. And as an apprentice, you have the possibility of getting hired by the salon when your apprenticeship ends.
4. Think about, and decide if you would rather work in a beauty salon or if you want to open your own business. You can even work out of a rented booth, or make private home calls to your clients.
5. Get you license from your state Board of Cosmetology. To be eligible for licensing, you must meet the guidelines for that particular state. Getting licensed will involve passing an exam.
This is an overview of how to achieve a career as a hairdresser. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.